We are getting married at the Residence Castello Oldofredi, which is located in Peschiera Maraglio, a very small village on Monte Isola, the large island in the middle of Lake Iseo.
Lake Iseo is about an hour Northeast of Milan. Here’s the venue on Google Maps:
Whether you are coming from the US, UK, or Europe, you will be flying. There are three convenient airports in the area:
- Bergamo (BGY) is a 40-minute drive to Lake Iseo and is the best option if you can find good connecting flights (usually for those coming from the UK and Europe).
- Milano Linate (LIN) is a 1-hour drive to Lake Iseo and is often the best option for those coming from the US.
- Milano Malpensa (MXP) is a 1.5-hour drive to Lake Iseo and the furthest airport from Lake Iseo, but you may find that flights to Malpensa are more suitable for you.
Getting from the Airport to the Lake
If you are planning on extending your stay in Italy before or after the wedding, we suggest that you rent a car from the airport you fly into. We have been using Sixt almost exclusively throughout Europe and highly recommend them. If you do choose to go with another rental company, beware that many companies have bad reputations for adding extra unexpected charges to your credit card after your rental!
Important note for travelers from the United States: driving in Italy is easy and safe, but it is mandatory that you get an International Driving Permit from AAA before you arrive. This is quick, easy and cheap. It can even be done in person at the nearest AAA branch. Do it now so you don’t forget!
For your convenience, we have booked free parking spaces in Sulzano. The parking lot is a 5 minute downhill walk to the ferry that takes you to Monte Isola. You can keep your car here for the 2 nights you will stay on the island. See below for walking directions from the parking lot to the ferry stop:
This is what the entrance to the parking lot looks like:
If you just want to get to and from the Lake quickly, you will have many options of taxi companies at the airport or in the area. That said, we would recommend you arrange a taxi from a local taxi company in Iseo, such as iseotaxi.it.
Getting to the Venue
There are several villages from which you can catch a ferry to Peschiera Maraglio on Monte Isola where the venue is located. You will have to park and leave your car (or have a taxi drop you off) in one of these villages:
- Sulzano – the most convenient village to depart from. The journey is only 5 minutes long and the ferry departs every 15 minutes.
- Iseo – it will be easier to find parking in Iseo, but the journey by ferry is a bit longer and the ferry doesn’t depart as often. We like this route because you’ve got more time to enjoy the boat ride!
You can find more information about Lake Iseo ferries, including timetables, here.
Once you step off the ferry in Peschiera, the venue will be just a 2 minute walk away! Click here for the exact directions.